Borth close gap with midweek win

By Adam Hughes in Football

BORTH United closed the gap on Spar Mid Wales League division two leaders Kerry to just two points in midweek, ahead of the crunch top of the table showdown at Dolforgan Park last weekend.

Goals from Ryan Davies and Liam Berner earned a crucial 2-0 win over Aberystwyth University, but they have now played one more game than the leaders.

The match with the students was switched to Cae Baker in Penrhyncoch due to an unfit pitch at Uppingham Fields and the Crows made a nervous start.

The University, backed by an enthusiastic band of supporters in the stand behind the goal, gave a good account of themselves as the opening half progressed.

Borth, however, were unlucky not to take the lead on 35 minutes when Liam Lewis’ superb shot hit one post and then the other, before being cleared to safety.

Minutes later Jay Walker’s shot was superbly saved, but with five minutes of the half to go, Borth made the breakthrough.

A Un player handled in the penalty area, and Ryan Davies converted from the spot to give Borth a 1-0 lead at the interval.

The students raised their game in the second half, and when a free kick was floated to the far post, Tristan Harris was unlucky to see his header graze the bar.

Gradually Borth took control and after a slick move between Ryan Davies and Ben Jones, Liam Berner fired a rasping right-footed drive into the bottom corner of the net for Borth’s important second goal.

Borth had chances to extend their lead in the latter stages of the match, but the three points gained were hard earned against a well-drilled University team.

Elsewhere in the Spar division two, Churchstoke kept up the pressure in third position with a 7-2 win at Presteigne.

Max Mclaughlin and Neil Yapp both scored twice, with Omer Ali Bozdag, Aidan Oakley and Josh Mcglynn, from the penalty spot, completing the scoring.

Despite the final margin of defeat, Presteigne showed plenty of character in the first half, as they came from 2-0 down to square the game at 2-2 by the interval.

Matt Strangwood and Ioan Hughes were on target with the reply goals for Presteigne, and they looked like they were on the front foot going into half-time.

The second half proved very different, however, as Churchstoke proved just why they have been on such a good run of form, by scoring five unanswered goals.

It was a disappointing end to the season for Presteigne, who offered much food for thought for the club’s newly-appointed manager Shaun Harris for next season.

Related Articles

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C